Inulin and fructo-oligosaccharides (FOS) are natural soluble fibers extracted from different fruit and vegetable sources. The root of chicory contains the highest concentration (minimum of 16% inulin). Other sources of inulin are banana, leek, onion and these contain less than 10% inulin. Ingrizo offers different types of inulin and FOS which are naturally sourced and gently extracted from chicory.
Inulin is made up of chains of fructose units (2-60), ending or not on a glucose molecule, linked by a beta-2-1 linkage which is resistant to human enzymes. As such inulin is not digestible by humans through their intestinal system.
Because of this intact transit through the digestive system, inulin offers several health benefits:
• Fibre enrichment
• Sugar reduction (calorie reduction: inulin has half of the caloric value (2 kcal/gram) compared to sugar (4 kcal/ gram))
• Fat reduction
• Calcium absorption
• Prebiotic: beneficial for gut microbiota
Inulin and fructo-oligosaccharides are GMO free, are Kosher & Halal certified and are naturally sourced.
Both products can be used for sugar reduction / sugar replacement and fat replacement.
The product has a shelf life of 4 years, is colorless and has a neutral taste.
Variants of Inulin:
• Instant version: native inulin, in powder form, formation of a gel in water system. Often used in fat replacement, because of fat mimetic effect (taste similar to fat).
• Long chain version: long chain of inulin, in powder form, less soluble in cold solutions. Often used in fat replacement.
• Short chain version: suitable for sugar reduction of 5-10%.
• Liquid version: has a high solubility (975 g/l) and is excellent for use as prebiotic and for calcium absorption.
• Powder version: suitable for sugar-, fat reduction fibre enrichment. Has a good solubility (350g/l).